I hope you will follow my journey through Shanghai with twocities art gallery to plan a community art event...

Friday, May 28, 2010

I almost took a cab...


Taking a cab here really isn't that expensive...but if you compare what you would spend to grab a cab against how many meals you could buy with the same amount of cash, it IS expensive. Before I spend money I almost always play the "would you rather" game. For example, would you rather grab a cab (make it easy and quick) or would you rather eat 5 meals? So... yeah, I thought it was worth dinner for a week to walk / take the metro to the art exhibition last night. (All told the amount I'm talking about is approx 5 bucks. :) ) And second, I genuionly like being in the mix. The people watching on the metro is amazing. Being a part of the sea of people flowing through the metro is like leaving a Razorback Football game all day... EVERY DAY...


Anyway, I got directions from one of the girls at my office and I was off for new adventure the the exibition into a part of town that I had not seen yet. I stuck 20RMb (3 bucks) in my pocket to get a bite to eat and to have some fast cash in case there was something that I couldn't live without. Little did I know what I would find...

ONLY in China can you purchase... the ENTIRE final season of LOST... 5 days post the airing of the finale for less than a dollar! I was so excited I could hardly contain myself. I immediately picked up the phone and called my homie, Trenia, in excitement. (after returing home I ended up watching the remaining episodes I had missed until 2am! I'll spare all you nonLOSTIES from a cretique!)


My dinner consisted of hand pulled noodles! Let me tell you... the Italians have nothing on the Chinese when it comes to turing out some noodles! These guys stretch out the dough. Twist it around. Stretch. Twist. Stretch. Roll it in flour. Stretch. Fold in 2. Stretch. Roll. Fold in 4...8...16...32...64...128... and BAM into the BROTH to cook for a few short minutes for some delicious fresh noodle soup! I'll get a video next time to show yall.

The exhibition. You never know what you are going to get when you are dealing with artists. I love that.


These are companion pieces that France commissioned a French artist to do for the French Pavilion in the Expo. These pieces stood approximately 7 - 8ft tall and appeared to be made of plaster. The black figure's tongue will be licking the money in the lady's mouth. I talked with the artist for about 2 minutes. (He quickly was stolen away by more important people; I don't really know how that is possible :) ) I was only able to ask about the black figure and the symbolism behind composition; in short, doesn't go much deeper than he just liked it and the two pieces together represent global consumerism and greed. I can't say that I would like to have theses pieces in my home... but they were interesting.


The event was in a warehouse which was his studio. It was a fun evening where I was introduced to many people I will be working with this summer. The first of many art events...


I have 7 interviews lined up to start my data collection for the Shanghai art event! I am so excited! I have some research to do to find out how to do a survey monkey in CHINESE! :)



On the homefront. Above is the outside of our apartment building. Trenia and I have had some more conversations with Rainbow. She is going to be a great friend! She is Shanghainiese! BONUS! She knows all the best spots... I love being a smart tourist: eating at the best / cheapest restaurants, shops, fruit stands, side streets, etc! She is also going to start tutoring us in Chinese!!!! I think that we are also going to make a standing date to watch the bachelorette! She can access American TV from her computer! AHHHHH! YEEEEES!


There is a concert at my gallery tonight and then all the girls from the office are going to an Opening of a Dolce & Gabbana Store... so I'm going to be along for the ride too! (Why wouldn't I?! Its not like I had to google the spelling of the store or anything!)

8 comments:

  1. Yay!!! I want to hear the critique of LOST, who cares who doesn't watch it. Your audience needs to know your thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bec,

    You make me laugh!!!! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! I want to hear the critique of Lost too! I've only seen one episode...the last one. But I watched an all inclusive special before hand so I feel like a LOSTie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Nicely done! noodles and LOST - it's like you are in paradise. I love the photos of the art. Amazing. You might not come back, Bec!

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOHOHO. so you start enjoying living in the heaven of not-so-original movies :D That's something that I miss from home :D

    And it is very interesting to compare food and cab :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congrats on the Lost grab! Goooooo, technology. ;) Looking fwd to your finale commentary! And it sounds like IPSP is going pretty well on the Shang Haiway, i'm pumped for you. ;) Orangely yours, -AT

    ReplyDelete
  7. Swearingen- you are seriously OOC. I told my flatmate that today. She asked what OOC was.

    ReplyDelete