I hope you will follow my journey through Shanghai with twocities art gallery to plan a community art event...

Friday, May 28, 2010

Just another Friday night...

Little did I know what all lasst night would hold...
All the ladies in the office were sitting around eating lunch yesterday and began to talk about how they were short handed for the concert later. I said that I would help. They seemed kind of surprised that I would want to "work" on a Friday night, but I guess they really didn't know who they were dealing with. Hosting an event is absolutely NOT work for me. I love it. So anyway, I stuck around for the concert that would begin at 730pm.

Twocities gallery knows how to throw an event. I could hardly believe how they transformed their gallery into a concert hall! They transitioned the majority of their show either to a different spot in the gallery or put it away all together. I LOVED their attention to detail: they reworked the lighting, set out REAL coffee cups and wine glasses, had plenty of help staff, provided a beautiful program that was printed on high quality paper, made sure that every seat had a good view of the concert.... Once we had everything set up, we waited for the people to arrive. It was slow at first, but about 10 to 15 minutes into the concert, the place was packed. Standing room only! I would estimate that there were about 200 people who came. The concert was a jazz concert. I don't know much about jazz nor have I ever really developed an appreciation for it, but I really enjoyed myself! Here are some pics from the evening...


I am slowing learning more about the history of the arts here in Shanghai and why in the largest city in the world a project like mine is needed. I still have many more questions to ask and a lot more to learn. However, the basic story goes like this. After the Communist movement and the governing body took control; they took control of everything down to what types of restaurants and galleries would be available to the public. For many years there were underground galleries and trading of art, but there was absolutely not a thriving art community. Over the last couple decades everything has begun to grow and prosper again. Twocities art gallery is on the cutting edge for community engagement. They provide multiple events each month that are free to the public. They have investors that believe in their cause and what they are doing for the community who help support them. Hopefully through my project this summer, there will be a host of organizations that will begin to work together in making art more available to the community.
After the concert was...

Drum roll please...................... The OPENING OF DOLCE & GABBANA!

There is absolutely no reason that I should have been invited to that party, but I sure am glad I was! I've only read about parties like that in magazines. This store was in a part of Shanghai that I had not gone to yet. The building next door was a Louis Vuitton store. Which was an 8 story building that was a LV suitcase. I'll go back and get a pic. Aunt Nancy... you would have been in heaven... CHAMPAGNE was free flowing. :) Paparazzi was everywhere. Fancy dresses were EVERYWHERE (except on me! I went straight from work and was carrying my big fat backpack with my laptop in it... great work, Bec. Real cool.). I don't even know what the majority of the people there last night do... but the most seemed pretty sheik and fancy. Passed hors d' oeuvrse were served all night. I tried as many as I could get my paws on... Amazing chocolate moose in chocolate cups, coffee moose in tiny sugar cones, and a nutty thing were all I tried, but there were many more other items floating around. If you've never gone dancing in a Dolce & Gabbana store, you should! This is Chinese model and me... we're friends now.
The DJ! All I know is that I requested Tonight's Gonna be a Good Night... and this guy played it the very next song! I like to think that means I'm kind of a big deal...
Unfortunatly my only crowd shots don't fully capture the glam and bling that were at the party, but you get the drift.

From a jazz concert in a beautiful gallery to a Dolce & Gabbana star studded event. How does this even happen?! There is never a dull moment in Shanghai.

6 comments:

  1. Did you get me some hot D&G (that is what we hip people call it... hehe) stuff - sunglasses? a shoe? :) Your ipsp... rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who are you and what is this life you're living?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so jealous! I thought I had it good. Also, I think about you everytimes I pull chicken bones out of my meal. Same with fish. I call it "bone watch 2010."

    WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! This is so awesome Becca! Haha, I bet everyone loved you and you MADE that party! If you come across any cheap REAL Christian Louboutins for my girl that would be awesome! hahaha Anyway, reading this here blog religiously! (and yes, I used "OMG")

    ReplyDelete
  5. i adore you! and your comments to your self "good job Bec, good job." it was like you were sitting next to me. and you might win "fanciest IPSP" award!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So I'm finally getting around to catching up with Team Shanghai's blogs... and this is quite possibly the most ridiculous post that I've read on anyone's blog yet!

    I especially loved the fashion pics... and which one was the model?

    Bah! ;)

    ReplyDelete